Snap the Shore, Face the Future!
Each year, CAW invites citizens to grab their cameras and document extreme high tides during its annual King Tide Photo Contest to raise awareness of New Hampshire’s rising tides. A King Tide occurs when the moon, Earth, and sun are aligned, and the sun’s gravity helps tug on the oceans a little more, causing the tides to be higher. These extreme high tides give us a glimpse what sea-level rise will look like in our region. Photographing King Tides is an effective way to help coastal communities identify areas prone to flooding, visualize potential impacts of sea-level rise, and start planning for the future.
|Who||Anyone with a camera or a phone that has a camera!|
|Where||Anywhere along NH’s tidal shoreline (NH’s tidally influenced communities include: Dover, Durham, Exeter, Greenland, Hampton, Hampton Falls, Madbury, New Castle, Newfields, Newington, Newmarket, North Hampton, Portsmouth, Rollinsford, Rye, Seabrook, and Stratham). Check out this handy map for ideas!|
|How to enter||During the Contest Submission Period, you may enter the Contest by posting a photo to Instagram, Twitter, and/or Facebook using the hashtag #KingTideNH2017 (note that your account and/or posts must be public in order to be eligible). Those wishing to participate outside of social media may do so by emailing submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a limit of 3 entries per person allowed during the Contest Submission Period.
Judging Criteria: effectiveness at conveying the high tide and associated flooding vulnerability, photographic composition
See the full contest rules at the link above for more details.
|Contact||Questions? E-mail Nathalie Morison or call (603) 559-0029.|
Contest and People’s Choice Winners will be able to choose from the following prizes, generously donated by local businesses and organizations:
- Dinner for Two (2), Row 34 (Estimated Value: $150)
- Private Tasting & Tour for Four (4), Flaghill Distillery & Winery (Estimated Value: $100)***
- Fifty (50) Cedar Point Oysters, Cedar Point Shellfish (Estimated Value: $100)
- One (1) year Supporter Membership, Portsmouth Historical Society (Estimated Value: $100)
- One (1) year Family Membership, Strawbery Banke Museum (Estimated Value: $100)
- One (1) year Family Membership, Seacoast Science Center (Estimated Value: $80)
- Two (2) Whale Watch Tickets, Granite State Whale Watch (Estimated Value: $76)
- Six (6) Movie Tickets, The Music Hall (Estimated Value: $72)
- Half-Day Single Kayak Rental, Portsmouth Kayak Adventures (Estimated Value: $45)
- $25 Gift Card, 7th Settlement Brewery (Estimated Value: $25)
- $25 Gift Card, Flatbread Company (Estimated Value: $25)
- $25 Gift Card, Lil’s Cafe (Estimated Value: $25)
- $25 Gift Card, STREET (Estimated Value: $25)
***Must be 21 years or over to win
Prints of the top ten (10) finalist photos, graciously donated by Live Free Print & Frame, LLC will also be displayed publicly through a rotating gallery. Stay tuned for our exhibit schedule!